Sunday, April 24, 2011

Nail Clippers? Really?

I have to preface this post by acknowledging that I once wanted to be a reporter. That I actually was an unpaid campus correspondent for the now defunct Richmond News Leader, and actually had a couple articles with a full byline published in said paper. I took a number of obligatory Mass Comm classes, made all the more interesting by a terrible crush I had on one of my professors, who I will always be grateful to for taking me to see the Allman Brothers in concert at the Mosque, before it became the Politically Correct Landmark Theater.

I understand that reporters are supposed to report the news in an unbiased and trustworthy manner. The fact that so few do these days is one reason I rarely watch tv news and pick from an eclectic and interesting mixture of on-line sources to remain informed and educated regarding important events in the world in which I live. Every once in a while, I pop over to a mainstream news source to take a look, and then there is a headline, biggest story on the page, like this one, and I remember why I am SO glad I am NOT a reporter, and wonder how in the WORLD anyone could actually, in this age of strife and war and amazing events, consider this really news...here is the link to the story. I will comment more once you have had a chance to peruse this amazing piece of writing....

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/04/24/alitalia-crew-reportedly-foils-hijacking-attempt/

So, a man attempted to hi-jack a plane using nail clippers. Really? My Sweet Husband has some fairly substantial toenails, which require a special, larger than the fingernail clippers, size toenail clippers and I really just do not for the life of me understand HOW one makes a hijack attempt with nail clippers. I giggled when I read he "tried to divert the plane to Libya." First of all, sir, perhaps you have just flown in from, say, Antarctica, and are unaware, but Libya is NOT the fun-loving travel destination it was even a few months ago. People are desperately trying to leave Libya. they certainly are NOT risking imprisonment to try to get there.

Next, how did this "attempted hijacking" play out? I have imagined the script:

Hijacker (holding nail clippers with fingernail digger attachment extended) " Take me to Libya! Now!"

Airline Attendant (or whatever stewards/stewardesses are now called) " Um, no!" (kicks hand holding clippers or swats them away.) "Now sit down!"

I think the "injury" must have occurred when the flying clippers poked the other Attendant in the toe as they landed. 

The fact that this is newsworthy enough to garner front web-page attention is laughable at best, and absolute absurdity at worst. The secondary fact that some poor reporter with the Associated Press had to write, proof, edit, and submit this story, to run under the bigger heading of GLOBAL TERROR makes me oh so very thankful that I am NOT, nor will I ever (God willing!) BE a news reporter.

Gratefully contemplating the amazing twists and turns of my college life that lead me away from my Mass Communications dream....